Goals 2017

13:59:00

It's 1 AM, January 1st 2017 and as I'm cuddling my extremely clingy cat and trying to ignore the claws digging into my knee, I'm also thinking about how to start the new year. I'm the type to roll my eyes at the term "New Year's resolutions" and so I skip those. For me, that is a term void of true meaning. It's synonymous to wishful thinking which in my book is just that - imaginings that can come to no fruition. Unless you do something to turn wishful thinking into starting steps.

But let's take it back a moment and retrace 2016, shall we?

Personally, last year for me was bittersweet. The beginning was nightmarish, then it had a sweet, sweet middle and a hopeful end. I kicked off 2016 with a depression and I'm ending it with one. I'm ok with that, though, because I refuse my anxiety and depression to define me. During the summer I got to meet my long-distance boyfriend for the very first time in person and after five years online we got to spend almost 2 months together. That was the most amazing summer of my life. I was heartbroken I had to leave and go back to my home country and that fling stuck with me. I still experience it often.

On a happier note, I'm hopeful. I feel like good things will happen because I know how to make the happen. When you want to achieve something nothing should be able to crush you... at least not completely. I don't think I will ever be that strong but I can try. So can you. There is always a way and there is always something that can be done to make things better for ourselves and the people around us.

Everything starts with a choice.

Simple or not, easy to make or not, your choice will determine your path and your achievements. It will be the deciding factor between success and failure, between learning from our mistakes and ignoring the wisdom we could obtain. Each of us possesses a lot more power and strength than we give ourselves credit for. We can achieve our goals and create something worthwhile. But that does not start with a resolution made in midst of a party and alcohol. It starts with a choice made consciously, crafted by the heart and defined by the mind.

My goals for 2017 are achievable, I believe. I will be setting them into quarterly goals as a way to make everything more manageable. The list for 2017 goes like this:

  1. Write a book
  2. Learn Spanish
  3. Learn Swedish
  4. Get a job
  5. Get abs
  6. Blog consistently
  7. Get a blog domain
  8. Start a YouTube channel

My goals are very exact. People tend to make extremely vague resolutions in most cases such as ''get healthy'', ''become a better person'' etc. I think that's another thing that differentiates achievable goals and wishful thinking.

What are your goals for 2017? I would love for you to share!

Till next Sunday 









You Might Also Like

0 comments




Subscribe